Christopher Owens mPlayer cover

In January, I profiled Christopher Owens about his concept album, Lysandre, for Paste Magazine's mPlayer cover:

Last July, Christopher Owens posted three consecutive tweets that shocked both music fans and critics alike. The San Franciscan songwriter and co-founder of the beloved indie-rock band Girls left the group that he started in 2007, saying:

Dear all, This may come as a surprise to many & has been an issue of much thought for me. My decision was not easy to make. I am leaving Girls. My reasons at this time are personal. I need to do this in order to progress. I will continue to write & record music. More will be announced soon. I thank you all for everything. Sincerely-Christopher

The startling news regarding his departure came on the morning of July 2, without warning or a detailed explanation. But in reality, there wasn’t much to tell about what laid ahead. Following the announcement that Girls would be no more, Owens spent the rest of that month unsure of his next step.

“I didn’t think about it every day,” Owens says. “I just wanted to go and visit family and not think about anything for a little bit. I guess it was the last couple of weeks of the trip that I started thinking about what I wanted to do next.”

Read the full story here.

Real Time Web Analytics